Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Trials of Baking - Day 1

The dream: Owning my own bakery as a successful pastry chef.

Ultimate Goal: Obtain Culinary Pastry Certificate or acquire equivalent experience, hopefully by end of 2013.Objective# 1: Use this informal blog to track progress.
Challenge# 1: Practice baking at home using recipes from one of the most renowned bakers of all time, Dorie Greenspan. Today, I received her popular book:  Baking: From My Home to Yours.   I'm really excited to create something yummy and beautiful!  


How did I figure out what I wanted to do?  The light bulb went off while I was watching the "So You Think You Can Dance" Auditions episode.  I listened to dancers describe their love of dance, and then display that passion on stage; both the talented and the not so talented.  That's when I realized life is too short.  Everyone should have a dream.  I did have a dream, but I was too chickenshit to admit what it was.  Why?  Failure.  I made excuses:  I told myself "I'm too old to dream now - I'm 27 with 6 years of chemistry lab experience, and Zero professional experience with baking."  "My boyfriend, my family, and my friends will think I'm crazy."  "I don't have what it takes."  "There is no money in it."

All of a sudden, watching that episode of dancers hopelessly trying to win the spotlight, gave me courage.  I would rather live with passion and fail, than to NOT even try.  And even if I do fail, I will have my dignity and pride.  It takes a lot of courage to dream.  Fear is a person's worst enemy, and I'll admit I may fight it continuously while trying to chase my dream, but I will not lie down to it.  I will fight.



2 comments:

  1. Too OLD?! At 27?! I'm glad you decided to dream. Wishing you all the best on your quest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Jean. I feel like I've wasted so much time in college pursuing Chemistry, when all I really needed to do was be in a kitchen. But everything happens for a reason. I'm just thankful I figured out what I'd rather be doing with my life.

    ReplyDelete