Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cookies, Croissants, Etc.

Chocolate Chip Cookies cooling on the rack


Apparently, I haven't baked chocolate chip cookies in a Long Time.  Normally, you add dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder) a few portions at a time to butter & sugar you've whipped to a soft texture.  When I had read instructions I barreled through and it wasn't until I took my first bite of a cookie did I go "wtf...why is this texture weird?"  The cookie was chewy and soft, which is normally good, except that it was falling to pieces.

Lesson learned - don't barrel through. Read instructions carefully.  I guess I will have to practice some more!

Speaking of following instructions, I just acquired the cookbook "Tartine" by Elisabeth Prueitt and Chad Robertson, as a present from one of my biggest baking fans - the boyfriend.  I've been lucky enough to try croissants at Tartine in San Francisco, and I've always wanted to replicate it.  After reading the recipe, I'm convinced if I can successfully follow their instructions, I will be able to interpret any recipe given me.  They are Extremely precise & anal retentive; no wonder their croissants are so famous - they have  the highest standards in the business.  They combine creativity & old school baking techniques, but because they have the highest standards in terms of ingredient quality, measurement, and technique, trying to produce their baked goods at home will prove quite the challenge.  

Challenge accepted.  






No comments:

Post a Comment