Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thanksgiving Jitters




I'm cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner for my parents and sisters, and I'm very anxious. Like most mother-daughter relationships, I'm on edge about the criticism I'm sure will fall out of my mother's mouth as she watches over my shoulder. We already had a screaming match over the phone about the turkey, I can't imagine what will happen when we're both in the kitchen. (Note to self: unpack boxing gloves from closet).


My approach: research a great menu, create grocery list, prioritze grocery list, pre-shop dried goods, and (if applicable) blog about said Thanksgiving jitters.


1) Empty nasty, only God knows how long this has been here, food objects from refrigerator.
2) Weekend before Thanksgiving, stock up on dried goods needed for dishes.
3) Pre-Order Turkey (if you need to figure out how big a turkey you need, http://www.butterball.com/ has a very useful calculator.
4) Begin to slowly clean. If you can squeeze in the time, even do some laundry :)
5) Wednesday:
Buy remaining ingredients for your dishes.
Prepare any dishes that can stay overnight in your fridge (e.g. cranberry sauce)
Have a glass of wine. Prepare for a full day of cooking
Tend to turkey
Remind mother it's your kitchen
6) It's Thanksgiving!!! Check out the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, and start up the ovens!


Good luck to everyone in the kitchen!



No comments:

Post a Comment