Friday, January 6, 2012

A New Year, A New Beginning, & A New Dutch Oven

Happy 2012! Hope your new beginning is starting out well. I started my new year with a new favorite cooking utensil.

It never occurred to me that one of the craziest days at the mall is the day after Christmas. That realization kicked in too late when I had already invested 10 minutes waiting in a line of cars to reach the 2nd floor of a parking garage. My mom is so happy to have cooking as a common hobby, she insisted we go to Macy*s and find myself a new cooking utensil. I did not just find a utensil; I found, in my opinion, a kitchen necessity: my very first Dutch oven.

To back track, I must tell you that I consider myself a decent cook. But for the life of me, I cannot do soups. It's become such a problem, every time I attempt to make a soup I question every step (i.e. "Really - no garlic in this? Pshh, this Needs 2 cloves of garlic; and more pepper while I'm at it.") But this Dutch oven has changed my bad luck with soups. The heavy lid helps keep the moisture and flavor condensing back into the soup. The thicker container walls also retain constant & even temperature.

Like you, I always contemplated "is a Dutch oven really necessary?" My answer is YES, go get one now! Looking forward to finally succeeding in making good Chicken Adobo.


No comments:

Post a Comment