Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Graduating from Muffins


    Doris Greenspan is in my kitchen in the form of muffins!  I, along with my guinea pigs that include my boyfriend, family & co-workers, have thoroughly enjoyed these recipes.

   Some of the important lessons I'm left with from this experience:


*Never trust the measurement of a "stick of butter."  Instead, I weigh out it's equivalent ( 4 oz ).  It's the chemist and OCD part of myself that trusts a kitchen balance.


*Half-ass mixing is encouraged.  Lumps are OK when mixing muffin batter.  They help create air pockets, giving that great fluffy texture.  Mixing too much will produce dense muffins.


*Like Dorie Greenspan says:  check the efficacy of your baking powder!  It's a significant ingredient, and puts the word "quick" in "quick breads"

Whole Grain Muffins with Cranberries
The Whole Grain Muffins are perfect for breakfast.  I also love that I can wrap them up air-tight, and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.

Corniest Corn Muffins

  I baked the Corniest Corn Muffins for a family BBQ, and I received the same question "is it sweet?"  I guess I'm already known for bringing sweet desserts to parties, but this time I went with a savory muffin that goes perfectly as a side dish to barbecued ribs.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Blueberry Jam Filling
  The Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are definitely on the more dessert spectrum of muffins, especially when they're stuffed with blueberry jam.  Alas, I couldn't keep the jam from exploding a little, but it helps to drizzle the lemon & sugar glaze to hide that imperfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment