Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Food Service Virgin No More

If I was going to enter into the world of food service, I'm glad I didn't have to start from the bottom like at a  McDonalds; and I mean no offense to employees at McD's.  It would be depressing to go from a 28 year old Chemist with a 401K and health benefits to a 28 year old burger flipper.  And again, no offense to the 28 year old burger flippers - dammit!  If you haven't given me the bird yet and stormed away from my blog after offending you, my point is, I feel fortunate to be doing exactly what I want to be doing in food service - baking cakes.

Yesterday was my first day baking for money!  It's a part-time gig, but in a matter of 5 hours I was trained to bake a cake, make frosting, roll cakes, and decorate cakes.  My suspicions were confirmed; being a baker is truly like being a chemist - except baking has more style...more creativity...I love it!  There's a lot of running around, a lot of standing, dish washing, time management skills, and a lot of powder getting in your face (except I'm not squeamish from inhaling  flour as opposed to a raw material chemical that has been proven to be carcinogenic.)

Next time I'll be sure to take some pictures!  I'm normally a picture taking mongrel, but in all the excitement it actually slipped my mind.


2 comments:

  1. G'luck and Godspeed. Hopefully you will become the next Jeff Mahin, who graduated with a science & math dual major at Berkeley(!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to tell people "I'm the next Alton Brown," who I then discovered had a degree in Drama, Not Science. Psssh. Jeff Mahin it is.

    ReplyDelete